The bummer news of the day was that Claudia and Bergaua headed back to their orphanage today. I headed up to the 5th floor to play a sweet game of UNO but I was met by a very eager group of people who said 'Claudia si Bergaua au plecat' which means 'Claudia and Bergaua departed' it was a bummer. For the past week I have spent about an hour a day in with them playing UNO I suppose now I'll have to find a baby like everyone else. I have realized that I do better with the older kids than the younger ones. By the way, Claudia and Bergaua are the ones in the main pic on the blog. I only wish we could've got them a picture before they took off. Perhaps we'll see them again. Ok I hope that wasn't to long and if the title of this post doesn't make any sense don't worry Brittany didn't like it either. ;-)
03 February 2009
Carne de porc a.k.a. Claudia si Bergaua au plecat
So yesterday we had birthday cake. AWESOME! I fed one of the girls in my room happily knowing she was eating a delicious piece of cake! Later they gave me a piece. It was like they had submerged the cake in the sink first! Now not to say that this is necessarily bad, I want to be culturally sensitive but it was not what I was used to. But everyone seemed to like it. This having been my first experience with unsavory food I wasn't expecting one the next day. Thats right today one of the workers in my room brought in 'carne de porc' pork meat she said something about it being specific to this region, the recipe? I guess. Anyway she asked me if I liked carne de porc and I decided to take the plunge. So she gave me three hunks of meat in a jelly. the meat itself wasn't bad, it tasted like pork but the jelly was pretty gross however after 3 bites I was ok with it. It tasted like pork bullion, or concentrated top ramen broth for those of you who don't stick cubes of bullion in your mouth, ha ha. Wow, ok sorry its late. When I got to the fat (you see I had first eaten around it because I wasn't sure if they ate the fat or not, I soon realized that some people ate it and others didn't) I was ready to be finished but I decided to trek forward. I took a small bite chewed and swallowed. The story would be a lot more interesting here if I would have thrown up but I didn't instead I saw my moment of opportunity. Both the workers were in other rooms so I shuffled off to the bathroom and threw the rest away being careful to put the unfinished fat in a separate place from my plate so that they wouldn't know I didn't finish! ha ha! I was triumphant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I miss Claudia and Bergaua too :-(
ReplyDelete