We have some exciting news! ..and no we're not having another baby =), but we are getting rid of our cell phones! I know that doesn't seem like good news to most people, but it will definitely be an adventure for us this summer. Justin and I are trying to find ways to cut back and save some money this summer and since BYU provides us with a landline free of charge we thought it would be a good way to save ourselves $85.00 per month. We are a little nervous to go without our cell phones, but we figure that people used to do it all the time so I'm sure we can handle it for only 3 months! We obviously won't have texting which will be a huge change for us since we routinely send about 1000 a month, mostly to each other, but I think it will still be hard to get used to. Anyway if anyone needs to get ahold of us our new phone number will be (801)378-5405 starting Monday, May 23.
So the title of my blog is new adventureS meaning I have another adventure to talk about; life with a 16 month old. All you knowledgeable mom's out there PLEASE help! What are we supposed to do all day!? I work from 8-12pm so Justin is home with him during that time and then I'm home with him the rest of the day. I know this sounds funny, but with school we've always had a million things to do and he was younger and this may sound bad, but he didn't need as much attention as he does now. When the weather is nice we spend most of the day outside which is wonderful, but what do I do when it's rainy or cold? Today we were both going crazy. We tried coloring and that was a failure, we also played cars, read books, cleaned the bathroom, played ball as well as a few other things, but Jackson's attention span is about 2 minutes and then he is moving on to something else and I'm already running out of ideas and its only really been 2 days. What kinds of things do you guys do during the day with your kids? I now understand why people resort to cartoons because those actually hold his attention... Please let me know any suggestions you have to keep us from going crazy during the day.
Thanks!!
Playdough is fun, you just have to keep an eye on them when they're that young. Letting him play in flour, chocolate syrup, peanut butter or other foods is a real hit. Just strip him down to his diaper, toss him in the tub, and let him have a blast. We like to do that with pudding, too. Finger painting with whipped cream and food coloring. Let him help you "cook" or play with laundry and hangers while you put clothes away. Just add a little extra fun to stuff you already do every day. It's a hard adjustment to make, but you can do it!
ReplyDeleteJust include him in the things you do. At that age I had Axton unloading the dishwasher. We also worked on academic stuff and that's when he started getting really good doing numbers and letters. Sometimes it's ok to just let him chill out and relax too.
ReplyDeleteWe love playdates with friends, especially since he doesn't have any siblings to keep him entertained. But yes, I just involve my kids in what I'm doing. They love helping cook and helping with laundry. It's a good way to teach numbers, counting, shapes and colors. Also, look around your community for events. I just found out that the rec center in Logan sponsors free sports for eligible families, including swimming lessons. I'm sure things like that exist elsewhere.
ReplyDelete